The poll results are in and you, dear readers, voted in favor of a little mapping competition.
So let’s jump right in to the rules of engagement.
- Map anything you want that is related to a fantasy setting or theme:
- World map
- Regional map
- Castle or other structure
- Write-ups are encouraged but not required. Write-ups might include:
- Explanation of the map
- Background/historical context
- Map Key
- Description of your creative process
- Map in whatever medium or software you want, as long as it can be easily displayed on this blog – Campaign Cartographer, PhotoShop, Gimp, Hand Drawn, Cross Stitch, whatever
- Map dimensions – should be sufficiently large to view details, but not so big that my hosting provider sends me hate-mail. A width of 1000-1400 pixels is usually sufficient. Try to keep it under 5MB in size.
- Map thumbnail – please also submit a thumbnail of your map that is no wider than 550px.
- File types allowed: .jpg, .gif or .png. If your map requires some other file type, let me know.
- 1 submission per person. The map must be your own and must be a new creation.
- Amateur mappers only (i.e. if you make a living making maps, please contact me about being a judge rather than a participant)
- All maps are due by August 18th
- Mapping skills and artistic quality
- Concept and merit of ideas
I’m hoping to get a small group of mapping industry professionals (artists and business owners) to help judge this contest. In lieu of that, I’ll be the judge.
I have an awesome lineup of judges confirmed for this contest and I’m just waiting for a response from a few others. Next week I’ll make a “Meet the Judges” post so you can learn more about who’s controlling the gavel.
3 winners will be selected to receive a voucher redeemable for any products from the ProFantasy website. Prize amounts are:
How to Submit
When your work is finished, click here to submit your map and writeup.
Once I receive your map, I’ll upload it to the site for everyone to see. If you finish before the August 18th deadline, go ahead and submit – this will give your map more time to be admired by the masses before the judging begins.
Winners will be announced on August 25th.
If you’re going to participate, please let us know in the comments below. Also let me know if you have any questions about the contest that weren’t covered in this post.